Sunday, September 9, 2007

Piper at Wheaton

I forgot to mention it, but this last Thursday night my friends Ryan and Kelly Beardsley and I journeyed over to Wheaton College to hear our beloved pastor John Piper present a lecture on Christian suffering. As usual we left with a clearer sight of the glory of God in Christ and a better biblical understanding of the purpose for suffering. Let me include here just one quote from that evening that I found especially powerful, and true. Also, I've included a link for those interested to be able to download the message for yourself.

"The reason this world exists the way it is is so that Jesus Christ would have a place to suffer and die. The reason there is terror in the world is so that Jesus Christ would be terrorized. The reason there is trouble in the world is so that Jesus Christ would be troubled. The reason there is pain in the world is so that Jesus Christ could experience pain. This is the world that God prepared for the suffering and death of his Son."

http://www.desiringgod.org/Blog/805_wheaton_messages_on_suffering/

No comments: