Friday, May 30, 2008

God does not change

I have finally finished my last paper for the year. The class was Hebrew Exegesis with Dr. Willem VanGemeren, and the paper was on an issue from the Old Testament book of Malachi, the prophet. My paper was on Malachi 3:6, which reads, "Because I, Yahweh, do not change, you, sons of Jacob, are not consumed." The paper examined in what specific sense, in the context, Yahweh is presented as not changing, and how that first clause of the sentence relates to the latter clause. The conclusion? On account of God's firm, unswerving commitment to his promise, his covenant he made with his people, his people are not consumed by his wrath, though they deserve to be. The people of God are not spared from destruction along with the wicked because of any good in them, but rather because they were graciously chosen to be God's people, as chapter 1 verses 2-3 of Malachi states: "'I have loved you,' says the LORD. But you say, 'How have you loved us?' 'Is not Esau Jacob's brother?' declares the LORD. 'Yet I have loved Jacob but Esau I have hated. I have laid waste his hill country and left his heritage to jackals of the desert.'" Continually the people of God deny God's love for them, saying instead, "It is vain to serve God. What is the profit of our keeping his charge or of walking as in mourning before the LORD of hosts? And now we call the arrogant blessed. Evildoers not only prosper but they put God to the test and they escape" (3:14-15). In response to the bitterness and grumbling of his people, God affirms his covenant love for his people, noting their not having been destroyed as evidence of God's own covenant love, and promising a day when it will finally be clear that God treats his people different from the wicked: "They shall be mine, says the LORD of hosts, in the day when I make up my treasured possession, and I will spare them as a man spares his son who serves him. Then once more you shall see the distinction between the righteous and the wicked, between one who serves God and one who does not serve him" (3:17-18).

No comments: