Sunday, September 21, 2008

David Brainerd

I just read the following excerpt from "The Life of David Brainerd," the journal of an 18th century missionary to the native Americans, compiled by the great pastor and theologian Jonathan Edwards. May God grant to each of us a resignation to his will, to trust him to take us to be in his presence at the time of his choosing rather than ours. But may God grant us first the intense longing to depart and be with Christ to such a degree that we, like David (and the apostle Paul for that matter), may actually be inclined to have such a desire as David writes about here.

"When I am in a sweet resigned frame of soul, I am willing to tarry a while in a world of sorrow, I am willing to be from home as long as God sees fit it should be so: But when I want [lack] the influence of this temper, I am then apt to be impatient to be gone. Oh, when will the day appear that I shall be perfect in holiness, and in the enjoyment of God?"

No comments: